This is a blog about life, dreams, wishes, and hopes via prose, poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and everything in between.

Friday, August 10, 2018

My Hiatus

My Dearest Reader,

I hope you are well on this sticky August evening. I am writing for the first time in over five, yes five, years. It's baffling to think that much time has passed since I let the world into my deepest thoughts and secrets. Yet, here I sit writing to you, whilst the hum of soft snores from across the bed calms my fidgety fingers.

It's been a long five years. A lot has changed. I have survived and overcome so much. I hope to share my story with you over the next few blogs. I pray that you will bear with me as I dust off the right side of my brain that has been dormant for too long. It may take me a while to fill the cracks in my voice.

I slowly lost myself in the throws of domestic abuse. Twice. And even after I escaped, the depths of my trauma kept me paralyzed in fear. I was too afraid to look over the ledge and into the abyss that is my past.

It felt safer to pull the covers over my head and drown out the sounds of moaning calling from the shelf with anything but writing. Work. Errands. Chores. More work. And some more work... Writing became too painful. It made me take a hard look in the rearview mirror. And I wasn't ready to face my past, my trauma, or myself.

But, I think I am finally ready to offer these wounds a breath of fresh air. The damp, staleness that has been growing beneath the surface has become too much to bear any longer.

So with that, I will depart for now. My wish is that you'll join me once again in my journey of using poetry, prose, and everything in between to share my experiences and innermost feelings with you.

I am hopeful that I will be strong enough to withstand the crashing waves overhead this time, and swim to the surface rather than sinking into the darkness of the sea floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment